- 8 sided dice (Westeros) vs 6 sided dice (Battlelore)
- morale track/objective-based win conditions (Westeros) vs first to X flags win condition (Battlelore)
- individual order decks customized pre-game (Westeros) vs common order deck (Battlelore)
- command tokens/cards/back'n'forth impulse orders (Westeros) vs order cards & simple turn order (Battlelore)
- light on magic/creatures (Westeros) vs Lore/War Council/creatures (Battlelore)
- flanking/engagement rules (Westeros) vs... well, there isn't anything like that in Battlelore
Allow me to elucidate (and pat myself on the back for using a SAT-quality word!): Battles of Westeros is Battlelore infected by the FFG virus. The operative elements of the FFG virus are:
- oodles of theme
- scads of plastic minis
- the "let's add some more cool stuff" design ethic skating across the the line into "we've added so much that the game is bloated, difficult to play cleanly & requires a FAQ roughly the size of a phone book"
My speculation, BTW, proved correct. This will not be compatible with Battlelore & may well spell the end of continuing official support of the original system. My plea is that FFG finish out the Call to Arms decks to include the expansions & publish a Campaign Book like the wonderful creation put out for Memoir '44 last year by DOW.