Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Green Album

Thanks to the kind folks over at NPR, I had a chance to listen this morning to the new tribute/cover album, Muppets: The Green Album... and I thought I'd share some quick impressions with my faithful readers.
  • It's actually a pretty good "cover" album - on par with one of my other favorites of the genre, Schoolhouse Rocks. (BTW, the cover of "Mr. Morton" on that album is cool with a capital C.)
  • Some real highlights include Weezer's take on "The Rainbow Connection", Alkaline Trio's rockin' run through "Movin' Right Along" & Andrew Bird's thoughtful "Bein' Green."
  • I don't recognize some of the songs - I wonder if they're from Sesame Street rather than The Muppet Show.
  • I did not like OK Go's version of the theme song or Rachael Yamagata's overly-breathy rendition of "I'm Going To Go Back There Someday"... and as nice a job as Matt Nathanson did with "I Hope That Something Better Comes Along", it just makes me want to hear Kermit & Rowlf sing it - including the lovely tag line, "I've never seen a guy that green have the blues that bad."
If you want to listen for yourself, go to NPR's First Listen ASAP.

No comments: