I decided to Google myself this morning. (For those who are not computer-savvy, Google is a very effective search engine that helps find websites that match the information you put into the system.)
In this case, I typed in "mark jackson" pastor (the quotes make sure the search engine looks for occurrences of the whole phrase) and it spit out 614 results.
I found ample evidence of my gaming obsession - not only stuff I've posted on the web but also mentions from friends. (There's even a reference to an internet radio show/podcast that I did late last year on a show called Geekspeak.)
The website I put up when I was hunting for a church (and you guys here at NewLife were hunting for me) is still active. (Which is weird... but kind of cool.) There's even an article I was quoted in about the On Target Conference I attended back in February. (I remember being interviewed for the California Baptist state paper - though I don't remember saying one of the quotes attributed to me. Not that I disagree with what it says I said... I'm just not sure I said it to the reporter.)
Then, of course, there's the references to people who aren't me, but just share my name:
- Mark Jackson, NBA star, who somehow got caught up in a turf war between the coach of the Knicks & the team chapel pastor
- a playwright named Mark Jackson (though the reviews of his play call it "sprawling & unlikely")
- any number of Pastor Mark Jackson's, including a couple of Dr. Mark Jackson's (man, that looks weird to see my name with a "Dr." in front of it)
- a Lutheran youth ministry professor
- some dead people (obituaries)
- and at least one guy serving in our armed forces
- boy, if I'd embezzled over $1 million bucks, we sure wouldn't need to do a capital campaign later this year
- how weird is it that this guy bilked churches in the last two states I've lived in?
- man, I hate the prosperity gospel - it's anti-biblical and it has a tendency to give people permission to do stupid things
- what would it take in my life to turn me into a con man?
So, maybe my reaction is not so much about my righteous indignation at a health & wealth "gospel" matchstick man. Maybe it's about my own fears of my precious life plan being altered... or of my carefully built facade crumbling under the weight of reality.
I don't know... I'm going to have to think about this one a bit. What about you? What "important thing" are you scared God is going to take away?
We must remember there are many more important things, many more important things . . . off hand, I can't think of what they are, but I'm sure there must be something.And now... back to 2012. A Google search today reveals a Pastor Mark Jackson (who is also the coach of the NBA Golden State Warriors) and the blackmail/sex scandal he got involved in - which simply goes to underline my point from 7 years ago. Sheesh.
Willie Wonka, from the film Willie Wonka & The Chocolate Factory