I really have no idea about the Kinderspiel des Jahres this year… while I used to keep up pretty well with kids games, those days are gone with my boys now more into the DC Deckbuilding Game and the Lord of the Rings LCG.
Winner: Geister Geister Schatzsuchmeister (and not just because Dale’s brother, Brian Yu, designed it… it’s a really great cooperative game with gorgeous art & bits)
- Short List: Zicke Zacke Ei Ei Ei (because who’s gonna bet against the Zoch chicken franchise?)
Dale & I agree on the eventual winner of the Spiel des Jahres… but I think he’s smoking something if Coal Baron gets nominated here rather than for KdJ.
Winner: Sanssouci (a little too light & fruffy for my tastes, but I can easily see it winning)
- Short List: Splendor, Abluxxen (based on the reactions to them from the Gathering crowd)
The Kennerspiel des Jahres (the GamerSdJ) is where Coal Baron will show up… and, in a perfect world, win.
Winner: Coal Baron (light enough to please the jury, heavy enough for gamers to enjoy)
- Short List: Glass Road (I think the cool mechanics will help it get a nod, despite what I felt like was lackluster gameplay), Russian Railroads (heaviest thing out there that people seem to really like)
Now, if I get to choose:
- Kinderspiel: Geister Geister Schatzsuchmeister
- Spiel des Jahres: Quantum
- Kennerspiel: Coal Baron
This post originally appeared on the OG website.