- 2014: 21st
- 2012: 30th
- 2010: 18th
- 2005: 17th (Monopoly - original edition)
- appeared on all four lists
- rank: 7594
- rating: 5.84
- out of print (but pretty easy to find on Ebay)
Why It's On The List
- It takes the classic game (Monopoly) and makes it extremely gamer-friendly by adding Cosmic Encounter-ish roles, a variety of choices for building, and a great point system that lets you stop the game at any point and declare a legitimate winner.
Tips & Tricks:
- Basic Monopoly strategy still works with Tropical Tycoon... but there are major new considerations when you are building on monopolies. You can build for cash or for points... or for some balance point in between.
- The more people playing, the more careful you have to be about how you make trades. Some of the cheaper properties can be converted into pretty powerful income streams if you plan correctly.
- The only problem I can see with the game is the need for a DVD player - all of the card draws/random events are keyed off of the DVD. That said, it works really well without being overly intrusive.
- Here's two things I wrote about Monopoly on my blog aka pastor guy: Giving Away Your Own (Monopoly) Money and The World's Most Famous Game And How It Got That Way. In short: "most of you play Monopoly wrong... and that somewhat explains why so many gamers hate the game."
- Here's what I wrote about Monopoly for The One Hundred