Monday, November 05, 2018

30 Years Ago - "You Belong With Me"

Thirty years ago, I took this cute girl from our college Bible study group out to see Tim Miner in concert at Footloose. 

Glossary for those not from the 80s and familiar with CCM
  • Tim Miner... incredibly talented "white soul" Christian artist who had put out one of the more groove-heavy albums of late 80s CCM
  • Footloose... a Christian "nightclub" in the Dallas/Fort Worth area (basically, just down the freeway from the airport) 
  • Tim Miner AT Footloose... since his home church was in Rockwall, TX (just an hour or so away), he had a full band and dancers... it was an awesome show
That cute girl said "yes" to a second date... and then there was the dating... and then, a little over a year later, she said "yes" to marrying me... and the love of my life really is the love of my life. 

But since this was originally intended to be a part of my "Christian Music From the 80s That Is Still Good" series of posts, I give you "our song" - from one of the more iconoclastic CCM artists ever, Tonio K. I put it on a mixtape for Shari Jo - and it still makes me smile every time I hear it.

For 80s music fans, the female vocalist with Tonio is Maria McKee (from Lone Justice). And there's a great article about the Romeo Unchained album here.



Two o'clock
The moon is down
We say goodnight
You're headed for bed across town
We haven't even known each other that long
But it doesn't even matter
When you leave it feels all wrong

You belong with me
Darlin' we belong together
And every time you leave
It's obvious we're still connected
You live in your world
And I live in mine
But the collision of worlds is just a matter of time
You belong with me

Now I can tell
You're so afraid
You've been lied to and taken for granted
And treated like some kind of slave
I'm not after your freedom, i'm after your heart
And I know it's gonna happen
And I knew it from the start

What happens to people in love is some kind of mystery
But what passes for love on the streets these days is a joke
So when people like us finally stumble into each other
We've got to hold on tight and never let go

No comments: