Tuesday, March 08, 2022

#64: Roll Player (Mark's Top 100 2022)


Roll Player

  • rank: 208
  • rating: 7.5
  • published: 2016
Print Status
  • in print
Why It's On The List
  • I considered Roll Player a playable but not particularly compelling game until two things happened - (a) I realized I had been taught the rules incorrectly, and (b) the first expansion appeared. Now it's still a game of dice manipulation and bundles of theme, but you don't feel like half of your turns are "take a die I don't want & throw away a card for 2 gold pieces."
Tips & Tricks:
    • You cannot do everything... unless the dice fall exactly right - and they won't. "Let It Go" is the theme song of Roll Player.
    • Correctly assessing the value of your resources (gold, experience, etc.) is a key skill... gold can be used when fighting monsters to buy extra dice, so don't blow it on something that's only going to be worth a point.
    Extras
    • I would deem at least one of the two boxed expansions as "must have" - Monsters & Minions and/or Fiends & Familiars. Seriously - they add the extra dimension of monsters to fight and a Big Bad at the end, which gives the game more options and more narrative arc.
    • I'm still kicking myself for not Kickstarting Roll Player Adventures...
    • This is an excellent solo game, btw... the first of 18 different games on this top 100 list that I recommend for solo play.

    No comments: