Wednesday, May 08, 2024

#33: NEOM (Mark's Top 100 2024)


NEOM


  • rank: 1,504
  • rating: 7.3
  • published: 2018
  • designer: Paul Sottosanti
Print Status
  • in print
Why It's On The List
  • The drafting is similar to 7 Wonders and the tile-laying feels like Suburbia. But that misses some of the innovations that make NEOM more than just another chip off the old blocks.
Tips & Tricks:
  • The game uses a “bomb” draft item (Flood, Fire, Crime Wave) in each era that hurts others but denies you a turn... and the decision on whether to play or pass this can be really tricky.
  • The initial “seeding” draft of cornerstone tiles does more to set strategy than the similar Leaders expansion in 7 Wonders.
  • I know this gets said a lot in game descriptions - but there really are multiple pathways to victory.
Extras
  • The game is designed for 3-5 players... but the addition of a Fields of Green-like 2 player variant (that works well) and a solo packet variant (that I love) expands chances to get it to the table.
  • My initial rules read of NEOM (prior to seeing the game) made me think it would be an interesting but difficult to play 7 Wonders knock-off. I’m happy to say that the first day I taught/played (a few weeks after Essen 2018), I was proven wrong… and ended up playing it 3 times in one day. As soon as it became easily available in the U.S., I jumped on a copy… and it’s now in regular rotation here at Chez Jackson.
  • Solo play: I typically play 2-3 games of this at a shot… since once you’ve got it laid out, it’s easy to reset and try again. I’ve defaulted to play with all the tiles in, which offers more variety and some interesting decisions since you know that you can (sometimes) wait for the tile you need.

No comments: