Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Wild Horses & Yetis

While it's been painfully obvious to any reader of this blog that I'm a huge Disney fan, those who remember my life pre-small fry also know me to be a lover of great roller coasters.

And one of the best coaster parks in the nation (though pretty weenie when it comes to theme & atmosphere) is
Cedar Point. I've had the privilege of spending the day there two different times - remind me and I'll tell the "tiny bullets" story (visit #1) and the "I think my best friend may be dying at an amusement park" story (visit #2). Of course, story #2 bleeds into story #3, wherein Chris & I get hyped up on Jolt Cola and torture Buster about his dating life in front of his mother.

But that's not why I'm writing this... instead, I want you to check out
this video of the newest coaster at Cedar Point, Maverick. Seriously... I'm sorely tempted to hitchhike to Sandusky just to ride this thing. A 95-degree first drop and a nifty surprise right in the middle of the ride... yowsa.

The only other coaster that's got me this excited is Expedition Everest at Disney's Animal Kingdom. Due to all the special effects & darkness, it's much harder to get a feel for this one, but here's one
video (from YouTube) that might give you a clue about why I want to ride it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to riding Maverick as well - but I can personally recommend Griffon, at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. It's not a significant record breaker - but it's a fantastic ride...

Anonymous said...

Mark, I just got to visit Brain in Charlotte, and got to ride the Borg Assimilator (where you are pivoted to actually face the ground) in Carowinds, and I've got to say, it was one of the most intense rollercoasters I've ever ridden. A wee bit too short, but very fun. We just got to ride in the middle of two heavy storms. Well worth the price of admission!

Looks like we do need to get a trip up to Cedar Point. That 95 degree drop looks incredible.