Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Scatterbrained

I've got less than 24 hours until I leave for Gulf Games, so my brain is completely, utterly, totally & in all other ways fried. I still have to pack & spend time with my family & finish up stuff here at the church. But before I do any of that, a final pre-Gulf Games post... a scattershot of thoughts, ideas & whatnot.
  • I "talked" (thanks to G-chat) to Joe Huber yesterday... and it turns out that he & I are on the same flights from San Francisco - O'Hare - Louisville tomorrow. Which means that Gulf Games will start earlier than planned - and my whole "I'll sleep on the plane" plan is pretty much toasted. (I'm looking forward to time with Joe - he's not only a savvy game designer, what with Scream Machine & Ice Cream published - but he's also a good friend.)
  • "[Pastors must be careful to] run as fast as our character is deepening and not as fast as our talent is expanding... Run as fast as your character goes deep and not as a fast as your talent goes wide." (Erwin McManus on the Catalyst podcast)
  • Just finished reading the Astro City: Local Heroes trade paperback... once again, if you have any background in reading super-hero comics, you should not miss out on the incredible world Kurt Busiek has created - these stories are possibly the best comics has to offer right now.
  • "The cavalry is here. Of course the cavalry is a scared guy with a rock." (Xander from Buffy The Vampire Slayer)
  • Sometime in the next couple of weeks, I'm going to start a new series of posts here on the blog - I want to write about the music that's been the "soundtrack of my life."
  • Had a great time playing games yesterday with Braeden & his best buddy, Canaan. They managed to knock me around at Mouse Trap, Jurassic Park: Lost World, Hisss & Toy Story: Toys Away! Yes, I understand it's not Caylus, Goa or Die Macher - but you really can't beat having a good time with your son... even with a "meaty" game.
  • "I wanted to play 'Mousetrap.' You roll your dice, you move your mice. Nobody gets hurt." (Bob the Tomato from The Toy That Saved Christmas)
See you next week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been pining for a good comic book series to read, so based on this recommendation I got Astro City: Life in the Big City from the library yesterday and I'm enjoying it very much. It's a much different take on the superhero genre. Thanks for the tip!

Rebecca said...

And now for something completely different:

Mark-- I'm a friend of Anna C.'s (Canaan's mom), from New America Singers. I was just looking at the NAS website and got a hankering to catch up with her. Could you send her a link to my blog?

By the way, I was reading your Genesee post. We live in the Feather River area, near Lake Almanor. We've been here since November, church planting. It's gorgeous here!