Monday, August 21, 2006

Mama Doesn't Have To Buy You A Mockingbird

One of my favorite "new" singer/songwriters is Derek Webb, formerly of Caedmon's Call. His rough-edged alt.country/rock/folk sound makes a perfect backdrop for piercing lyrics about the state of the church & living a life centered on Christ.

His music isn't terribly radio-friendly (well, at least CCM radio) as he has this odd tendency to use biblical phrases like "harlot" & "whore" and write biting songs like "T-Shirts" and "Nobody Loves Me" that don't inspire lots of folks who are safe & secure in the Christian bubble to think happy thoughts. Me, I like it just fine.

And if you want to hear more of his stuff, here's the perfect opportunity... starting September 1st, he's giving away his last album, "Mockingbird". That's right - giving it away. If you're interested, check out Free Derek Webb.

Note: while I like this album (esp. the cuts "A New Law", "Please, Before I Go", & "I Hate Everything (But You)"), it's actually my least favorite. "She Must & Shall Go Free" (his first album) is an incredible wake-up call/love song to the church... and "I See Everything Upside Down" deals more with our own individual journeys with Jesus. (His live recordings, "The House Show" & the DVD "How To Kill and Be Killed" are also excellent.) Still, it's a free Derek Webb album, which is always a good thing.

Second note: the content of "Mockingbird" is sometimes political in nature - it's like Derek decided to start a bar fight & just went right ahead and mixed religion and politics. Whether you agree with him or not (and I don't on all points), I think it's very cool that he's writing & performing music that deals with real issues and isn't simply one more "rah rah Jesus you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, hey Jesus" song.

2 comments:

Patera Silk said...

If you like "rough-edged alt.country/rock/folk," give Bill Mallonee and Vigilantes of Love a try. No syrupy sweet there—just honest life.

Mark (aka pastor guy) said...

Firestone is dead-on correct... my favorite album from Vigilantes is actually a "greatest hits" compilation (sort of) entitled VOL. "Double Cure" still blows my socks off.