If you need to know more about one of my favorite games, you can read about it on the #21 entry of my Top 100 Games list.
So, here's what we know about 7 Wonders: Babel (the new bigger box expansion) coming from Repos Productions:
- it should be available this summer (hopefully sooner rather than later)
- it contains two separate expansions that can be used separately or together...
- ...and those expansions can be combined with any combination of the base game + either or both of the previous expansions
- the first expansion module is about adding "laws" to the game...
- after drafting 3 laws at the start of the game (similar, I think, to the Leaders draft), play continues as normal.
- If a player chooses to discard a card (rather than playing it or adding it to his wonder), then he can choose to either take 3 coins or put one of his laws into play.
- Laws modify the game rules for all players in some way: taxes, penalties, bonuses, etc.
- the second expansion module is about building together...
- each age, a "great work" is revealed (there are five possible for each age) that can be "worked on" when you play a matching type of card and pay the extra cost.
- If the "great work" is built (if it is "worked on" enough times in that age), every player who did work on it gets a bonus for each time they did this.
- If it isn't built, all the players who didn't participate take a penalty.
- remember, this information is from a preview of a prototype of an unpublished (yet!) game... things may (and probably will!) change
- it looks AWESOME...
- the only decent pictures I can find of the expansion are on this video from (you guessed) BGN
And, as an added bonus, you can now order the 7 Wonders promo items direct from Repos Productions:
- the new leaders: Stevie Wonder, Louis Armstrong, & baby Esteban
- the Catan wonder board