Wednesday, October 31, 2012

#25: Pandemic


Pandemic

Mark's Ranking
  • 2012: 25th
  • 2010: 27th
  • 2005:prior to publication
  • rank: 46
  • rating: 7.61
Print Status
  • in print
Why It's On The List
  • A brilliantly constructed cooperative game with nail-biting tension - are we going to be able to save the world from the viruses or not?
Tips & Tricks:
  • You must watch ALL of the timers - the one you're most likely to forget is the draw deck.
  • When you're teaching Pandemic, work extra hard not to "run" the game - let players make mistakes, learn, and enjoy this great game experience. If you really want to play the game with extra control, play it solitaire.
  • Do go out & purchase the On the Brink expansion - not only does it offer some fun new ways to play (Mutant Strain, Virulent Outbreak, new roles & new special help cards), but it also has the very cool petri dish holders for the pieces.
Extras
  • I'm not a big fan of the Bio-Terrorist variant in the expansion in which one player is working against everyone else.
  • While I can't share details, I have played a prototype of a second expansion set. 
  • There's also a LARP game that's been run at a few gaming conventions - again, I haven't got to play it myself but I love the idea!
  • Pandemic has a more "family with kids" friendly cousin, Forbidden Island... here's the review I wrote of it for my blog.




No comments: