Race for the Galaxy
- 2014: 5th
- 2012: 2nd
- 2010: 3rd
- 2005: not yet published
- rank: 41
- rating: 7.8
- in print
Why It's On The List
- After you climb the iconography mountain to figure out the game, Race for the Galaxy is an amazing adventure in hand management & reading your opponents' mind - made even better by clever card design & interaction as well as great sci-fi art.
Tips & Tricks:
- Learning Race for the Galaxy can be a bit of a chore - of course, since I've ranked it #2 on my list, you know I think it's worth it - but there are some things you can do to make it easier.
- First, don't add any of the expansions.
- Second, the first time you play, play two games in a row.
- The first game should be open-handed & use the preset hands from the base game.
- The second game can be "normal".
- Third, don't get obsessed about winning your first few games. Use them (they're short!) to explore the gamespace & see how cards can work together.
- There are five expansion sets available for Race for the Galaxy, all of which add numerous cards to the deck:
- The Gathering Storm (which adds a fifth player, goals & a robust solitaire system)
- Rebel vs. Imperium (which builds on the previous expansion, adding a sixth player & rules for takeovers)
- The Brink of War (which builds on the previous two expansions, adding prestige & the prestige/search action)
- Alien Artifacts (Alien Artifacts does NOT build on the previous expansions but instead is meant to be combined solely with the base game. It adds a fifth player & a new mode of play in which you explore the Alien Orb.)
- Xeno Invasion (the newest expansion - again, a stand-alone addition to the base game that adds the potential for a non-player adversary attacking all players.)
- Someday, maybe we'll get an iOS app - until then, the best computer AI for board games out there is Keldon's AI - a free download for PC & Mac. I estimate I've played a couple thousand (2000+!) games against this over the years.
- My favorite way to play is 2 player advanced with goals & prestige... and no takeovers.
- I'm also a big fan of Roll for the Galaxy... but that's for my next top 100 (whenever the heck I do that).
- I'm surprised how little I've written about Race for the Galaxy - evidently, I've been too busy actually playing the game to blog about it!