- 2014: 2nd
- 2012: 5th
- 2010: 1st
- 2005: 1st
- appeared on all four lists
- rank: 214
- rating: 7.3
- in print
Why It's On The List
- The game that launched the European "game" invasion... the first true "franchise" game for Kosmos & Mayfair... a game so simple & yet so innovative that it could inspire devoted play with almost any crowd. This infinitely variable game of trading & building is still a personal favorite, even when way too many gamers have left it behind.
Tips & Tricks:
- There are lots of strategy guides out there - the best I've ever seen was compiled by Scott MacPherson - and I republished it so you could find it:
- While your first game may take 90+ minutes, it's not unusual for experienced players to knock out a game in 60 minutes or less. A lot of that depends on how quickly trading goes and how "aware" the people you're playing are - example: it doesn't matter how many times you ask for "brick", if we haven't rolled it in two rounds, it isn't there for trade. Sigh.
- I wrote my Unofficial Guide to Catan back in 2007 - but the basic information is still pretty helpful, if not complete due to age. (Part 2 focuses on Catan spinoffs; Part 3 is a 2010 update of Part 1.)
- I recently posted my translation of the rules for the new historical map Siedler von Korsica.
- I also wrote about my visit to the very first CatanCon.
- Here's what I wrote about the game for The One Hundred... and here's what I wrote for my personal One Hundred.