Thursday, November 01, 2018

Hail & Well Met, Fellow Survivor Fans!

I used to describe myself as a "Johnny-come-lately" to Survivor... but the painful reality is that I've watched every season live since Season 10 (Palau)... so I guess I'm an old hand now.

Old enough, anyway, to follow Andy and his reality blurred site - and when he asked for input on the current season, I dutifully shot off an email to him that he quoted in yesterday's article: Why is the Survivor David vs Goliath cast so likable & fun?
1. They are interesting people – not just types. Examples: The wrestler (John) is self-aware & not just playing a character, evidenced by his delightful conversation with Christopher about Slamtown and hiring practices. The ex-cheerleader (Kara) has a meaningful faith that created a bond with another player and scared Natalie enough to behave badly & tank her game. She’s not just a cheerleader. Christopher is a nerd/geek… but w/real people skills and an amazing level of empathy.
2. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of “playing for the camera”—whether that’s a function of the weather conditions or something else, I’m not sure. But the focus has been on the game and relationships, and I’m enjoying it!
For the record, nothing that happened last night changed my mind about any of this... in fact, it seems like we have less self-serving interviews and more glimpses into camp life and relationships - so I missed #3... a better job of editing the show.

And, because it wouldn't be a Survivor old-timer post without it:
  • I'm Team Boston Rob NOT Team Evil Russell
  • My favorite winner is actually Yul Kwon (who had a really cool PBS series on the technology grid some years back)
  • I've gone back and watched all of the seasons I've missed except Amazon, Marquesas & Thailand





1 comment:

avvilibber28 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.