- 2014: 39th
- 2012: 22nd
- 2010: 5th
- 2005: prior to publication
- rank: 254
- rating: 7.21
- out of print... for now (Kickstarted reprint should arrive this year)
Why It's On The List
- One of the best example of a game design integrating theme & mechanics - drawing tiles from the bag "feels" like archaeology. As well, the use of the "time cost" mechanic makes the game fluid & gives each player a plethora of tactical options.
Tips & Tricks:
- The tile bags are a marked improvement over the card decks from the original version of this game, Jenseit von Thebes.
- If you're not going to collect the lecture series cards, just make sure no other person hoards them - that's some big points out there on the rubber chicken circuit.
- I like to jump out with one or two quick expeditions to harvest a few easy artifacts (and have a variety of colors for the various exhibitions) - but there's something to be said for making sure you have a couple of assistants & shovels before you do any serious digging.
- Don't forget about the bonuses for highest level of research into each site!
- Queen has released Thebes: The Tomb Raiders - a card game version of Thebes. I have not played it yet... but I want to!
- The German video trailer for the game!