The Rivals for Catan
- 2014: 44th
- 2012: 18th
- 2010: 90th (as The Catan Card Game)
- 2005: 81st (as The Catan Card Game)
- rank: 438
- rating: 7.17
- in print
Why It's On The List
- This is a streamlined & MUCH improved version of the 2 player Catan Card Game (which I first played - with German cards! - as Siedler von Catan: Das Kartenspiel).
Tips & Tricks:
- The expansions are both very good... and add a lot of variety to the game.
- You can NOT neglect building at least 2 settlements... that's really the only "don't miss" strategy tip.
- This is, like many games with lots of cards w/effects, a game that plays quicker & with many more interesting decisions once you've played it a few times to get to know what the cards can (and can't) do. I strongly suggest playing the introductory game followed almost immediately by a "regular" game with the Age of Gold deck in order to begin learning the system and the basic cards.
- Notice how far up this game jumped in my top 100 due to the new version... I'm the president of the "Rivals kicked Siedler:DSK to the curb" society.
- I have now played the iOS version - it's not perfect but the AI is pretty good and I'm glad I own it.
- I wrote incredibly in-depth reviews of the base game and of the expansions for the Opinionated Gamers (which were then re-published on this blog)... the first one is particularly aimed at those who were wondering if they should make the switch from the original game.