Sunday, May 08, 2022

#3: Clash of Cultures (Mark's Top 100 2022)


Clash of Cultures 
BoardGameGeek
  • rank: 356
  • rating: 7.6
  • published: 2012
Print Status
  • the original edition is out of print... but the new edition (which includes the impossible to find expansion and a number of tweaks) is available
Why It's On The List
  • My favorite civilization-building game... the free-wheeling tech-tree and relatively simple mechanics make for an excellent play experience with 2, 3 or 4 players.
Tips & Tricks:
  • Playing an online game of the Tresham version of Civilization a couple of years ago makes me like Clash of Cultures even more. The tech tree decisions are more interesting, the random events aren't earth-shattering, and the gameplay has more variety. I'm pretty much done with classic Civ.
  • There are multiple ways to win Clash of Cultures - we've had games that focused on military build-up and games where trade was king. The direction of the game is often affected by the layout of the board.
  • The expansion is highly recommended for the original edition - it not only adds cavalry & elephants & extra buildings, it adds historically based civilizations to the game. But good luck finding a copy.
Extras
  • I have not played the new edition... but one of my persistent opponents at Gulf Games shared numerous photos and rule summaries with me, so I'm generally very positive about it.
  • I have not written a lot about Clash of Cultures... I need to fix that!

No comments: