Thursday, March 14, 2024

#87: Expedition (Mark's Top 100 2024)


Expedition

  • rank: 3,065
  • rating: 6.8
  • published: 1996
  • designer: Wolfgang Kramer
Print Status
Why It's On The List
  • I love the expedition mechanic at the heart of the game. There's nothing quite like it... (well, this isn't altogether true - but look in the Extras for more on that.)
Tips & Tricks:
    • Travel bucks are a relatively scarce currency that aids you in game play and must be managed VERY carefully.
    • Watch the number of arrows left in each expedition - other players can run them out to keep you from certain sections of the board.
    • There are a variety of options in how loops work - we like the "place anywhere on the loop" one - but you should give them all a try.
    • While the game will work with 2-6 players, it's best with 2-3.
    Extras
    • The designer (Wolfgang Kramer) actually revised his classic Ravensburger game (Wildlife Adventure) which became Expedition - and then he gave it a big tweak and turned it into a children's game (Schatzsucher). While I haven't played Schatzsucher, I've enjoyed my couple of plays of Wildlife Expedition (and still kick myself for not picking up a copy back when you could find them at zoo gift shops).
    • There were some rules changes for National Geographic Expedition edition - I only played once but I didn't like them. Frustratingly, I don't remember what I didn't like!
    • Here's what I wrote about Expedition for The One Hundred
    • This is the first of five games designed by Wolfgang Kramer on this countdown.

    1 comment:

    Rob Cannon said...

    It looks like Hachet is going to publish the next edition of this game. It looks nice (look for the picture of Pacman Quorridor) in this post.
    https://www.meeplemountain.com/articles/everything-is-new-at-gama-expo-2024/