Thursday, June 27, 2024

Sixty is the New Fifty-Nine


Yep, it's happened. With yet another trip around the sun, my personal odometer has turned over and I am, as the title of the post implies, sixty years old.


When I was younger, 60 sounded really, really old... and sometimes the aches & pains of my aging body remind me that younger me wasn't completely off base. But most of the time, I feel like my attitude about life is younger than my physical age.

This week, I've found myself reflecting on the past six decades of my life.
  • I spent nearly half of my life in full-time vocational ministry as a Southern Baptist youth minister, church planter, and pastor... then spent nearly a decade without preaching until last year
  • Shari & I just celebrated our 34th wedding anniversary - I'm so incredibly thankful that she said "yes" so many years ago and has been my companion and best friend through all the high & lows of life.
  • I've been a dad for more than a third of my years on this planet - Braeden is 23 and Collin is 19 - and I could not be prouder of who they are as young men. (I'm really looking forward to our road trip to Gulf Games together next month.)
  • Speaking of board games, I'm honored to have friends scattered around the country (and the world) due to my involvement in this hobby. I've had the privilege to playtest a wide variety of games (Heroscape, Suburbia, Unmatched: Battle of Legends, etc.) and review countless others for the Opinionated Gamers site and this blog.
  • I've had a lot of different jobs in addition to being a pastor - I've worked in a call center, I've flipped hamburgers (back in the "my McDonalds uniform was made of polyester" days), I've served on a packaging line, I've ghostwritten material for multiple books, I've done data entry/payables (back in the Lotus 1-2-3 days), I've worked for the State Legislature in IT, I've consulted on a book on board games for Klutz Publishing, and I currently have spent more than a decade working for the Tennessee Department of Education.
Most importantly, I've been a follower of Jesus for almost all of my life. I made a profession of faith at the age of seven... and I'd love to tell you that it's been smooth sailing ever since. But that would be a lie. In Andrew Peterson's song, "The Good Confession", he describes his younger self with these words:
Through the years
I barely fell;
I mostly dove right in.
I drank so deep
From the shallow well
Only to thirst again.
Still, His grace is real. Over and over, I've experienced the love of God calling me to follow Him - not as a punishment or as a penance for my mistakes, but as a deeply loved child and friend. 

On this day, I'm pausing to remember how thankful I am for all of the things that have shaped me - both the wonderful gifts and the incredible difficulties. I have things I wish I'd have done differently - times where I should have made a better and/or different decision - but I have no desire to rewind the clock. 

7 comments:

NickDanger said...

Well said. I am happy to have known you for about the last 30 or so, maybe 40? My life is richer for the experience.

Mark (aka pastor guy) said...

Thank you, kind sir!

Mark Puckett said...

Welcome to the sixtys club! (I'm a seasoned member.) Hoping you have many more. The Lord's blessings on you sir.

Anonymous said...

You have spent over half that life without me around on a regular basis. Miss you.

Tom Sims said...

Wonderful reflection on the first 60. I may or may not be around for 120, but I will look forward to updates along the way.

Anonymous said...

As a 57 year old, let me say wow you are really old 😀. I found another thing we have in common. I made my profession of faith at 7 as well.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm it put me as Anonymous but this is Daniel Brown.