Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Five & Dime 2008: Lo, How The Mighty Have Fallen

These are games that have appeared on the Five & Dime lists before... and have fallen in overall playing percentages.
Gamepercentage loss from 2007
Yspahan-18.50%
BattleLore-14.27%
Hey! That's My Fish/Pingvinas-14.23%
Notre Dame-12.86%
Carcassonne-11.34%
Ra-10.45%
No Thanks/Geschenkt-9.52%
Blue Moon City-9.15%
Coloretto-9.06%
Thurn and Taxis-8.39%
Taluva-7.85%
To Court A King-7.83%
Ingenious/Einfach Genial-7.70%
Bohnanza-7.49%
For Sale-7.45%

Once again, this is the list I'm most accurate at predicting: I called the two of the top three games to appear here. (Yspahan & Battlelore). I thought Notre Dame would be #1 (which it wasn't) but I was close. OTOH, I thought San Juan would be here (it missed the list by ONE position) and I couldn't have predicted that my personal dislike of Hey! That's My Fish would finally start to spread.

Predictions: Agricola will be here next year (in the #1 spot), as will Stone Age, In The Year of the Dragon & Hanging Gardens.

2 comments:

Joe Huber said...

You know, I was sure that Hanging Gardens would disappear quickly for me - but now I'm not so sure. After cooling on the game for a while, I'm warming up to it again. The fact that it's good with 2 or 3 is a big plus, and it's a _very_ pleasant game.

None of which suggests that it won't generally fall off - I agree entirely with your conclusion. I'm just not nearly as convinced that it will drop from _my_ play list.

Complete aside: Mark, if you haven't already, you should try Keltis: Der Weg der Steine (basically, Keltis the tile game - part of the MitbringSpiel line).

Mark (aka pastor guy) said...

Yeah, Joe, I understand about the difference between games dropping off THESE lists that don't drop off my own (see: Memoir '44 & Heroscape).

I want to try all of the Keltis goodies... but that would require more contact with Gathering-ish folks, which I don't have much of right now.