- 2012: 46th
- 2010: did not appear
- 2005: prior to publication
- rank: 155
- rating: 7.35
- in print
Why It's On The List
- Yes, I'll be the first to admit there can be some wild swings of luck - some card combos are unbelievable in their massive synergy - but one of the real joys of the game is discovering those, whether you get to do it yourself or watch someone else find the proverbial pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And the card-splaying mechanic is just cool.
Tips & Tricks:
- One of the great temptations in Innovation is the "I need to do something IMPORTANT every turn" longing... it can talk you into cranking up a Dogma action that helps others more than it helps you. Watch out.
- I can not recommend the expansion (Echoes of the Past) highly enough - not only does it introduce some nifty new mechanics to the game (echoes, forecasts & bonuses) but they also finally put all of the special wonder info on the new player mat.
- The game is very good with 2-3 players... if you want to play with 4, you should use the partnership rules - they're a lot of fun.
- There are new rules for how to integrate the expansion cards into the game... evidently, it is to help with upcoming expansion plans. While I didn't have any problems (except a lengthy set-up/deck shuffling issue) with the original expansion rules, these work great and reduce set-up time.
- Speaking of expansions, Figures in the Sand is due for Essen 2012!