- 2014: 54th
- 2012: 19th
- 2010: did not appear
- 2005: prior to publication
- rank: 95
- rating: 7.44
- in print
Why It's On The List
- While I know I'm going to inspire some carping & complaining, I believe that the designer & Days of Wonder took a decent but flawed game (Vinci) and turned it into a whimsical, more enjoyable and better game - Small World. This is fantasy combat in a pretty abstract form... but still packed full of fun.
Tips & Tricks:
- This is one of those games where owning some expansions adds to the enjoyment - the extra races & powers keep the replayability high.
- Order in which to buy expansions (in my ever-so-humble opinion): #1: Be Not Afraid, #2: Grand Dames of Small World, #3: Tales & Wonders, #4: Cursed. (I have not yet played Royal Bonus or A Spider's Web.)
- Though I enjoy the Necromancer Island expansion, it's not worth the $$ people are selling it for - Days of Wonder has recently reprinted this one where you should no longer be buying it elsewhere.
- If you're going to buy Small World: Realms (an expansion that lets you build your own maps & scenarios), you'll probably want the stand-alone Small World: Underground (which I don't like as much as I do the base game)... and you won't need to bother with tracking down a copy of the Tunnels expansion, as it is included in Realms.
- Don't bother with the Leaders expansion - we certainly don't use it.
- You have to be a certain kind of person to revel in the chaos of the Tales & Wonders expansion - but if you are, it's very, very good. (I am.)
- Days of Wonder just recently released a new edition of the iPad version of the game... I don't own it but I'm told it's well done.
- Here's what I wrote about Be Not Afraid & Necromancer Island for this blog.
- And here's what I wrote about Vinci for The One Hundred.