- 2014: 28th
- 2012: 17th
- 2010: 15th
- 2005: 33rd
- appeared in all four lists
- rank: 480
- rating: 6.83
- in print (but only in a newer/stripped-down edition)
Why It's On The List
- There had been cooperative games before this one... but Knizia broke the mold and created a sprawling (and gorgeous) cooperative masterpiece that reflects the tensions & storylines of the books in a highly abstracted way. And my wife likes it.
Tips & Tricks:
- There are three expansions to the already meat-y base game...
- Friends & Foes (which added Foes as well as two new "locations" - boards - to work through) - yes, it did make the game longer by almost half.
- Sauron (which added several different ways to play the game, including a "one player - Sauron - versus everyone else" variant that works like a charm)
- Battlefields (which added another board for each location... is highly abstract... and, to be completely honest, I've never actually played.)
- Suggestion: don't combine the Friends & Foes and Sauron expansions - it's just too darn long.
- I've played 50+ games of this... and will happily play it again if someone asks.