Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends
- 2014: 34th
- 2012: prior to publication
- 2010: prior to publication
- 2005: prior to publication
- rank: 384
- rating: 7.29
- in print
Why It's On The List
- An inventive pattern building mechanic helps create a fluid game of combat & positioning. The core mechanic is very abstract – and yet by the use of cards & subtle theming choices, Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends has more “story” involved than you realize at first glance.
Tips & Tricks:
- Experience is key - knowing what your opponent(s) can do can sometimes give you an edge.
- I like "High Form" better than "Deathmatch" - but the game works well in either mode.
- The way to learn the game is with 2 players - 3 or 4 player games are much more chaotic.
- I wrote an in-depth review of Tash-Kalar for the Opinionated Gamers (which were then re-published on this blog).
- I am working on a review of the Everfrost expansion deck - in short: it adds some nice variety to the game... and I hope there will be more expansion decks!
- There is also an "upgrade" pack available for early purchasers of the base game - better art on the board & tiles + thicker pieces. I'm glad I have it.