- 2014: 32nd
- 2012: 23rd
- 2010: prior to publication
- 2005: prior to publication
- rank: 446
- rating: 7.24
- out of print
Why It's On The List
- For a game of space conquest (complete with a tech tree), it zips along at a blistering pace. Turns are short, decisions are tricky, scores are close, and there are multiple ways to victory. Plus, you get to flick stuff!
Tips & Tricks:
- As much as I love flicking games (Catacombs, Carabande, etc.), the flicking here is not the whole game - it's just a part of a much larger space-empire building game.
- The game scales really well from 2-4 players - which is odd, considering it has a four-quadrant map.
- There are even some official variants for the game posted on the Geek... both of which are quite good.
- Combat is NOT the most important thing in the game.While you can't ignore it, it won't win you the game by itself.
- My Opinionated Gamers review of Ascending Empires... with lots more information and my thoughts on all the whining about the puzzle-cut boards.