Thursday, June 08, 2006

The Gospel According to "24"

One of the blogs I enjoy following is The Resurgence, which comes from the folks at Mars Hill Church in Seattle. It's a weird mixture of scholarly papers on theology and pithy commentary on life & God & all that stuff from Pastor Mark Driscoll. What follows does not fall into the "scholarly papers" category.

But I'll let Mark explain himself a bit...

With the fifth and arguably best season of the hit television show 24 now concluded, Jack Bauer can take a much needed shower, get something to eat, and power up his cell phone battery which magically lasts forever. At the risk of sounding blasphemous, I would like to offer the suggestion that perhaps 24 is incredibly popular because Jack Bauer is a lot like Jesus...

You can read the rest of the post at Is Jack Bauer a Type of Christ?

As a huge fan of the show & a follower of Jesus, I'm interested in hearing your responses to this. Heck, I'm not quite sure what my response is...

1 comment:

Scott Rushing said...

I understand the point that is trying to be made here. I see the connections.

But still, something about the metaphor of Jack Bauer as a type of Christ just really bothers me.

Jesus was a peacemaker. He transformed the world by choosing not to fight, but instead to lay down his life.

Jack Bauer actively chooses torture and violence as a means of completing his mission.

I see such a wide gulf between those means of accomplishing their respective motives that it is difficult for me to see a helpful comparison.

Even though I agree that 24 may be one of the top 3 or 4 tv shows based on writing, acting, production values, etc. I wonder if it is helpful for those in Church leadership positions to endorse a show that relies on so much violence. Shouldn't we also be peacemakers? Perhaps we should have a conversation on what our tv viewing habits have to say about our following of the sermon on the mount?

Well, those are my humble 2 cents. I would be willing and grateful to anyone who could convince me otherwise, because I would like to love 24 again. But as it stands, I chose to stop watching the show this year for the above reasons.