Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Sticky Teams: Selected Quotes (Chapter One)

Back in late October, I had the privilege to attend the Sticky Teams conference at North Coast Church (down in Vista, CA)... and as you can probably tell from the name, the conference focused around the concepts laid out in Larry Osborne's book, Sticky Teams: Keeping Your Leadership Team & Staff on the Same Page.

I bought my copy of the book at the conference & promptly devoured it - it's chockful of amazing insight into church leadership, staff dynamics & following God as a pastor. Usually I'm the guy who reads a book once & then puts it on the shelf for reference... but I'm in the process less than 2 months later of reading through it again, which ought to tell you something about the impact it's having on me.

Rather than write a full review (short version: it's great! go buy it!), I'm going to offer some quotes that make a lot of sense to me, ministry-wise and/or challenged me in how I'm leading NewLife (the church I pastor):
  • It finally dawned on me that we were never going to change the world out there if we couldn't solve the conflicts in here.
  • Unity that insists on uniformity isn't unity at all. It's a cheap counterfeit.
  • Let's admit it. Our Christian hot buttons constantly change. One decade's battleground is another decade's yawn.
  • Most church fights aren't over theology or even ministry goals; they're over priorities & methodology.
As you can probably guess, my intention is for this to be the first in a continuing series of posts as I re-read the book.

No comments: