- 2014: 73rd
- 2012: 20th
- 2010: 50th
- 2005: 80th
- appeared on all four lists
- rank: 455
- rating: 6.93
- OOP in both editions
Why It's On The List
- Another great example of Knizia using math to make fun instead of dry as dust slogs (I'm looking at you, Auf Heller und Pfennig/Kingdoms.) It's horse racing with actual gambling & great levels of player involvement. It plays well with 4-6 players and I've never had a dull game of Royal Turf.
Tips & Tricks:
- Play with the "zero"/bluff bet variant & face-down bets. Trust me on this one.
- If you're in the lead, make sure your bets are on the better odds horses... and with the players who are closest to you in score.
- If you're behind, leave the leader on his own on a couple of horses. (This takes working together... which doesn't always happen.)
- There have been three versions of the game - my favorite is Royal Turf, but Winner's Circle may be easier to find.
- Here's what I wrote about Royal Turf for The One Hundred.