Monday, March 12, 2012

#89: 1st & Goal (Mark's 100 - 2012)

1st & Goal

Mark's Ranking
  • 2012: 89th
  • 2010: prior to publication
  • 2005: prior to publication

BoardGameGeek

  • rank: 1712
  • rating: 7.33

Print Status

  • in print

Why It's On The List

  • Stephen Glenn has created a fun & fast-playing dice football using a card deck to call plays - which allows for a greater variety of outcomes without unduly complicating the process.

Tips & Tricks:

    • It takes a couple of games to get the hang of hand & clock management...
    • While I haven't played with them yet, there are a number of expansion sets that change up the dice for each team.

    Extras

    • 1st & Goal essentially replaces Pizza Box Football in my top 100 - the only thing I really miss about PBF is the (very abstracted) real NFL teams.
    • The 1st down marker & the ball are magnetized, btw - they won't slide around on the (metal) field. A very nice production touch!
    • I'm really looking forward to playing in the 1st & Goal tournament at The Gathering of Friends next month!

    6 comments:

    Josh said...

    Oh, you Gathering of Friends people... *hides jealousy, but not well*

    Mark (aka pastor guy) said...

    Hey - I've had an invite since 1996... and this is only the 2nd time I've been able to go.

    I completely understand, though - since the majority of gaming events take place east of the Mississippi River & I live in a decidedly expensive place to fly in & out of, I mostly watch this stuff from the sidelines. This is the first time I've been past the Big Muddy (to play games or do anything else) since 2006.

    Josh said...

    I'm jealous even of the standing invite. Of course I've never even met Alan Moon, so I understand him not considering me a friend!

    Adam Daulton said...

    You and others have really got me interested in First & Goal. I'm going to have to find a copy. Thanks for the comments.

    Craig said...

    This has replaced PBF for me as well. You *must* get the expansions! They add so much to an already fun game. A word of warning: use the "generic" dice for both teams Special Teams (kickoffs, punts, returns, field goals, etc.) If you don't, you will have some very lopsided games due to the fact that the team with the stronger offense will have an advantage in ST as well.

    Mark (aka pastor guy) said...

    Thanks for the tip, Craig!