Thursday, March 08, 2012

Games R Me: Pass It Down

Like I said, my Grandma Jackson is the one who taught me to riffle shuffle (and do "the bridge" - a skill which I still like to show off). She played Monopoly with my sister & I (and, according to my dad, with him & his friends when he was growing up). I think that much of my love of games started with her.

But it wasn't just games - she & my grandpa had a huge library of Reader's Digest Condensed Books... and I had permission to read them & borrow them. Because of her, I got exposed to a huge variety of novels & writers - something that has informed my eclectic (some would say "weird") reading tastes to this day.

The same is true of her faith in God - her faithfulness to Christ and her Christlikeness got passed down to my dad. And, because of the influence of my mom & dad, I became a follower of Christ at the age of 7.

Now, 40 years later, I'm passing down the love of games to my boys. And, thankfully, my faith... one of the highlights of my life is getting pray with Braeden as he asked Jesus into his life.

I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also... continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 2 Timothy 1:5, 3:14-15 (NIV)

Question: What are you passing down to your children & grandchildren?

1 comment:

Jason said...

Nice series. Though I never mastered the bridge in a riffle shuffle, I, too, developed my fondness of card games from my grandparents (both sets) - namely pitch, euchre, spades, pinnochle and cribbage.