- 2014: 78th
- 2012: did not appear
- 2010: did not appear
- 2005: prior to publication
- rank: 1468
- rating: 7.10
- in print (the current Fantasy Flight version)
Why It's On The List
- Kevin Wilson "re-mixed" this classic Milton Bradley Gamemaster game... and the combination of nostalgia and just plain fun makes it a winner.
Tips & Tricks:
- I played the original 1986 version of this game a bunch of times with my best friend from college (and best man at my wedding) Tim Formby. He was pretty much unbeatable as the US of A. I do know that part of the charm/joy of playing Fortress America is that backdrop of memories.
- However, designer Kevin Wilson made some excellent changes to the game - he rejiggered the map, moved combat resolution from a CRT to custom dice, and added "invader decks" to increase variety.
- Winning is about not getting involved in battles that sap your strength without a decent payoff - and about avoiding taking cities you can't hold.
- I wrote a post back in 2010 that named Fortress America my most played game published in 1986 - Through the Years: More Gaming History.